dual*ities

LIGHT. SHADE. AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN.

Monday, January 24, 2005

farewells and well-wishes

i said goodbye to my kids today. my Pathways "kids," that is.

they're actually not kids anymore. they are teen-agers who come from low income families, but who are gifted enough to make it to college, through the help of the Pathways to Higher EducationProgram. for two years, i was their project head and coordinator. but i'd like to think that, more than that, these students also saw me as their ate (big sister), their pseudo-mom (sometimes), and their friend. hence, no matter what, i'll always think of them as "my kids."

but i have other roles to play in life, and other paths to take, too. and so i said my farewell this morning, at least in my official capacity as their project head. in response, they sang me this song:

Sana'y masabi sa awit kong ito
Lahat ng ninanais nitong puso ko
Sana, saan man patungo sa buhay
May pag-ibig, may pag-asa
May saya at saysay
Sana sa bawat sandali
Matikman pa
Sarap ng pagsasama
At simpleng ligaya
Tara na, sakyan lang
Malay mo
Andyan lang, andyan lang
Ang hinahanap mo.

when i first heard this song from the new coke ad, i did find it likeable, primarily because of its catchy tune and its message of hope. plus, it is an adaptation of lighthouse family's (i wish i know how it would feel to be) free, the mtv of which is one of my favorites. (i can't wait to see the uk version of the ad, which is supposedly closer to lighthouse's rendition of free). but now that is has been sung for me by the Pathways scholars, it's all the more meaningful to me. in fact, it's pretty much my favorite ad right now on local tv. all because of "my kids".:)
pol, 7:09 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment