dual*ities

LIGHT. SHADE. AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

the wisdom of calvin


That about sums up how I’ve been feeling these past two days. That’s ‘coz since Monday morning, I’ve been cooped up in my own little corner in our good ‘ole house, laboriously transcribing every single word from the focus group discussions (FGDs) that I have conducted in the past weeks for my masteral thesis. Not an easy task, mind you. One tape alone would take about two whole days to transcribe (if one is really O.C.. about it). Hence, I’ve been in front of the computer, with the tape recorder beside me, for hours on end! My fingers are stiff from typing, my eyes are getting watery from staring at my monitor, and my eardrums are whacked from having to listen to undecipherable conversation amidst very loud static! And to think I have about 8 more tapes to go! Whew. Talk about being a full-time graduate student.

Not that I have a right to complain about all this. I did chose to do this kind of research (i.e. qualitative) for my thesis. Also, I’d have to admit, the content of the FGDs are actually pretty interesting. So it’s not all that bad. Not bad at all. In fact, I’m quite glad that my thesis is finally taking off.=) It’s just that after two consecutive days of transcribing inside your room, you’d pretty much miss the “world outside” too. I’d never thought I’d say this, but I kinda miss walking under the warmth of the new year sun, eating greasy chicken and fries from those fastfood joints, admiring the guts of stubborn pedestrians crossing the avenue where it says “Bawal Tumawid: Nakakamatay,” and yes, even breathing the polluted Katipunan air. Harhar.

Not that the “out there” that I am talking about is elusive. Far from it! I’m bound to “go back to it” soon (like, tomorrow…haha.) But for now, this is where I am supposed to be—in front of my computer, beside my tape recorder, attempting to finish a 30+page transcript (albeit not that successfully). After all, this too, is part of the life that I’ve chosen for myself for the next few months.

pol, 1:43 AM

1 Comments:

pia, kumusta na nakita ko yung iniwan mong comment sa blog ko. oo nga matagal na mula nung huli tayong nakapag usap.

ingat....sige add me....ill add you on mine once i figured out how to do the link for non lj blogs. ingat kapatid
Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:53 AM  

Add a comment