dual*ities

LIGHT. SHADE. AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN.

Friday, February 25, 2005

thrilled to be tagged

i've been tagged by anj, and am thrilled to join the fun. thanks anj!

Random 10

1) YOU GOT TO BE by Desiree

I just love the message of this song. It’s like a Reality 101 course in the music world, yet at the same time, it’s so empowering as well. And the best thing about it is that it ends with a message of hope. “All I know, all I know is love will save the day…”

2) IF I AIN’T GOT YOU (Remix) by Alicia Keys and Usher

When Alicia Keys and Usher come together to make music, wonderful things are bound to happen! Can anyone spell soulful?

3) I TRY by Macy Gray

I’m not too fond of love songs, but the first time I saw Macy Gray perform this piece on Saturday Night Live years ago, I immediately took to “I Try”. Ms. Gray has got some "attitude," if you know what I'm saying . And when you sing one of her songs, you can’t help but acquire a bit of that attitude too.=)

4) HARANA by Parokya / The AKAFellas

There are a lot of “memories” attached to this song—from my ACIL days to my JVP years and beyond. Plus of course, the AKAFellas’ rendition of it gave a whole new twist and “feel” to the song. So yeah, it’s all good.

5) STUCK IN A MOMENT by U2

This is the ultimate JVP Re-entry song! It reminds me of a conversation that Kaladkarin had with her mom a couple of months after Batch 19’s YearEnd. It went something like this:

Mom: Nasaan ka ba ngayon?

Kaladkarin: Nasa JVP session.

Mom: Ha…hindi pa ba natatapos iyan?

Kaladkarin: Ma, hindi naman ito matatapos eh…

Harhar. Talk about being “stuck”…for life.

6) PANALANGIN by the APO Hiking Society

This song makes me think of the Pathways gang's impromptu video-oke session that splendid night in October, in the midst of a big national event that was being hosted by Pathways. I can still almost hear the Pathways peeps singing “Panalangin” on top of their voices, and letting it all loose! That was definitely one of the fun-nest nights I’ve ever had in Pathways.=) Never mind that we sang the song(s) a little (or a LOT?) off-key. Hehe.

7) NAÏVE by Beyonce feat. De Brat at Solange

I like the rhythm of this Beyonce song. It will make you want to grroooove too.=)

8) YELLOW by Coldplay

This song is a bit cryptic. I was never quite certain what “yellow” alludes to in the song. But I guess that’s why it appeals to me. I like cryptic. Hahaha.

9) ONE HUNDRED YEARS by Five for Fighting

This is one of those “cycles of life” songs. And I’m such a sucker for songs with that theme. Thanks mucho to Bonita for introducing me to this Five for Fighting single.

10) NOYPI and MASAYA by Bamboo

Aside from the fact that Bamboo has been making an appearance in my Now Playing List every so often lately, the band will also be featured in a concert entitled "Pinoy Tayo!" on March 4, for the benefit of JVPFI. So yeah, these songs are getting the nod from me these days. (Please forgive the shameless plug. Hehe.)


What is the total amount of music files in your computer?

My computer says 1.54 GB, but that’s comprised mostly of music files that I had to rip ‘coz I don’t have them on CD.=) If I have the songs on CD, I try not to save them on my computer, unless they’re really, really big favorites of mine. I need to save space for other stuff eh.


What was the last CD that you bought?

It’s been quite a while since I actually bought a music CD for myself. Luckily, my friends are generous enough to let me borrow theirs. Hehe. More generous still are those who actually bought CDs for
me.=) Hurray for my friends! But I think one of the last ones I bought was the Seattle’s Best Jazz collection.


What was the last song you listened to before reading this message/entry?

Currently playing is Matchbox 20’s Push.


Write down 5 songs you listen to a lot or mean a lot to you.

1) THIS YEAR by Chantal Kreviazuk

I have adopted this to become sort of my “theme song” at the beginning of the year. It serves as a reminder of my promise to myself to make this an incredible year! And I’m doing fine in keeping that promise so far.=)

2) BIG YELLOW TAXI by Joni Mitchell

This is like the alma mater of the coolest women (and women-activists at that) in the music world! Watch the video of the Lilith’s Fair concert tour (circa 1997), if you want proof.=) (I could lend you mine, if you want.) And I’d just like to say that no matter how many versions of this song are released, I still maintain that Joni Mitchell’s version is the best!

3) KANLUNGAN by Noel Cabangon

For JVP volunteers, this is the ultimate nostalgia song. Never mind that it has been commercialized and associated with the golden arc and all that. For us, it’ll always be the song that will bring us back to those lovely months of simplicity, solidarity, self-discovery and growth.

4) BETTER DAYS by Dianne Reeves

This has been a favorite of mine since way back in high school/early college. It never fails to bring out that positive vibe that I need (that we all need) when things do not seem to be looking up or are taking too long to come into fruition.

5) GALILEO and HAMMER AND NAIL and CLOSER TO FINE by Indigo Girls
(Sorry, it’s so hard to choose just one IG song!)

My closest friends probably know how much I adore the Indigo Girls. I just love them! They’re real and edgy and socially relevant too. And among their songs, the aforementioned three are my all-time favorites, mainly because of the many statements they have about life. More than just giving me something to hum along with, these songs also provide me with something to ponder on, and something to aspire for.


Who are you gonna pass this stick to? (3 persons and why?)

1) Jolit, so as to force him to go public with his blog. Harhar. Come on out, Jolit!
2) HSK, because he’s such a music lover. Also, he actually believes that music loves him too. Hehe. Peace HSK!
3) Enzo, because I’d like to learn what types of music he likes. =)

pol, 1:02 AM

1 Comments:

hi pia! stumbled upon your blog. i added you to my rss reader already. looking forward to your next posts!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:40 AM  

Add a comment