dual*ities

LIGHT. SHADE. AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN.

Monday, July 11, 2005

the day i swapped gaiman for my thesis

Yes, that's exactly how i'll probably remember this day.

I belatedly learned this morning that we could actually "invite ourselves" to the Writers' Forum with Neil Gaiman at the Music Museum (about to start in less than an hour from now), via the British Museum website. I was, of course, excited at the possibility of being part of the event. And so, I submitted my on-line confirmation, and got this in return:

************************

Dear Pia Ortiz-Luis,


Thank you for confirming your attendance to the Neil Gaiman Writers Forum. Please pick up your ticket at:

British Council Philippines
10th Floor Taipan Place
Emerald Avenue, Ortigas Centre
Pasig City

Please bring this with you when you register on 11 July at the Music Museum in Greenhills. Registration begins at 1PM sharp.

For more information, please contact:

Tel No : 9141011 to 14
Website: www.britishcouncil.org.ph

*************************

Upon receiving this message, however, I remembered that I need to get back to work mode today and couldn't really afford to have another "lakwatsa day." As it is, with all the excitement of the weekend (which includes not just the Gaiman event, but also Nicnic's daughter's first birthday, as well as the UAAP games), I'm expecting to exert double the effort to get me back to working on my thesis. If I go to the Writer's Forum this afternoon, I figured I'd want to go to Gateway right after that too, just to see how things will turn out there. Which means I'll never progress with my thesis.

And so, here I am now,
sitting in front of my computer blogging about why I won't be in the Music Museum this afternoon, instead of actually making my way to Music Museum and seeing more of Gaiman. Smart decision or foolish one? I really don't know. Hehe. Right now, I feel like I won't regret it. After all, I had a choice about it.

Hopefully, Anj will fill us in on the highlights of the forum.:) (Not to pressure her or anything though. Hehe.) That would be enough for me for now.

******************

ETA: Relatedly, here is a very, very short clip of the Q&A Forum during last Saturday's event. Not the best angle. A little shaky too. (This was, after all, taken while I was holding myself up on tiptoes, and raising my digicam above the heads of all those tall Gaiman fans in front of us. Harhar.) But well, it's better than nothing.




pol, 12:44 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment