dual*ities

LIGHT. SHADE. AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN.

Thursday, May 12, 2005

not your ordinary survey

Not that I'm looking for more things to think about and analyze. But I stumbled upon this interesting survey which, as it turns out, was created by Inabear. It is dubbed as "the survey for people who actually think." Oohh...sounds intimidating. But it could be fun.:)

So, here are my answers:


1. What is your theme song for the day? Perfect World” by Indigo Girls

My favorite lines from the song:

"We get to be a ripple in the water
We get to be a rock that's thrown..."

"We're swimming we're floating

And in this moment we are beholden
To what we've caused to what it takes
The one perfect world
Can we learn to live another way."

2. If you had a month to go anywhere and do anything, would you: a) go on a Mediterranean cruise, b) volunteer for the UN Commission on Refugees, or c) hang out with your favorite celebrity?

I’ve been on a cruise and I am not so much into celebrities. And I’m very much an advocate of volunteerism. So this is actually an easy choice for me. My answer is most definitely B!


3. Give a good reason for a person to be unfaithful to his/her spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend.

I really couldn’t think of one.

The question, however, got me thinking about a scenario wherein one party is a battered wife/husband/partner. Being in an abusive relationship could lead the said party to seek solace from another person, and then eventually develop feelings for the said person. A classic case of transference. Not that ‘infidelity’ is excusable in this situation...or in any situation for that matter. But I think I could understand why and how it could happen under those circumstances.


4. When your parents are old and senile, would you change their diapers? When you are old and senile, would you want your children to change your diapers?

I’d probably have to do this for my parents, especially since I am an only child. It’s the least I could do for them for putting up with all the crap I’ve been giving them all these years. Hehe.

IF I had children…then yes, maybe I’d let them change my diapers, but IF and ONLY IF they want too. (Hmm...too many ifs?)


5. If you met someone in prison who looks exactly like you, and by some strange contrivance, are given the chance to exchange places with that person for one day, would you do it? (there are no guarantees that your look-alike will return except her/his word for it and you can't get out of prison until he/she comes back)

It’s tempting to say yes, just for the experience. But after much thought, I believe I’d rather stay out of it. I value my freedom too much to take that risk. I mean, if ‘experience’ or ‘insight’ is all I’m after, I can always just look elsewhere…like in a UN refugee camp, perhaps?:)

6. What is the most exotic/unusual/disgusting-fear-factor-type food you have ever eaten?

Well, balut and durian are actually food stuff that have made an appearance in Fear Factor a couple of times. I’ve tried those, along with isaw (of course!), dinuguan, and frog legs, but I guess those wouldn’t be considered too unusual here in RP.

So I’d say that the ‘most exotic’ delicacy I’ve eaten would be kalderetang aso (dog). And I was only a kid back then!


7. Where's the farthest you've been from your home WITHIN your own country? How did you get there?

General Santos City in South Cotabato. I’ve been there several times, usually for work-related purposes. My first trip there was for an area visit when I was still part of the JVP staff. I got there by riding the bus from Davao. The last time I was there was for Pathways, to visit our new office in the area. I got there via a PAL fllight.

8. If you had to give up one of the following, which would you ABSOLUTELY NOT give up? a) eyesight b) hearing c) voice d) hands e) legs

A – Eyesight. This answer is largely influenced by my personal experience of how it is to be optically-challenged, so to speak. I was actually considered to be legally blind for most of my teen-age life. But that wasn’t really so much of a problem because I’ve been wearing contact lenses ever since I was 11 years old. When I was about 19, however, I had to undergo laser surgery for my eyes. My vision already reached the grade of 1,115 (left eye) /1,120 (right eye) by then. And beyond 1,200, laser surgery (at least, at that time) would not be 100% safe. So yes, I took a chance, and excitedly so, I might add.:)

The operation itself was painless. And normally, the post-operation stage should be too. However, because my grade was so high, the doctors had to make deep cuts in my cornea, resulting in wounds that took longer than usual to heal. Hence, my recovery period was especially more trying than those of the average patient’s. For at least 3 days, I literally couldn’t open my eyes because it was soooo unbelievably painful to do so! Imagine what it would be like if a knife scraped your eyes over and over. (Eeee!) That was how it felt like. But even when my eyes were closed, the 'scraped' and burning feeling wouldn't go away. The anesthesia eye drops I had did not help at all. I couldn’t sleep either because I was too conscious of the lingering pain. So basically, I just had to deal with it. I ate, took a bath, walked with my eyes closed!

I actually refer to those days as my “three days of darkness.” Usually, I mean it in the most literal sense and as some sort of a joke. (Back then, the term “three days of darkness” usually referred to the infamous “end of the world” scare.) I mean, I really did not see anything for 3 days, because my eyes were practically two open wounds! That was when I realized how much I valued my sense of sight. Without my eyesight, it was as if all my other senses just disappeared! Everything else takes so much effort to do or to understand. Hehe. I guess when one is placed in such a situation, the easiest thing to do is to just sit in a corner, and wait until everything gets better. In a sense, the “darkness” has the ability to disconnect you from the rest of the world and make you feel helpless. If you let it.

Come to think of it, in a weird sense, it was actually one of the coolest, most intense experiences I ever had as a teen-ager. Haha. Not that I’m a masochist or anything, but the ‘darkness’ did force me to dig deep into myself and reach into my innermost resources. And I found ways entertain myself too, like tuning in to an HBO movie feature and trying to re-create the scenes (or making up my own scenes) in my mind! Or trying to play the guitar without looking at the chords or the strings. It was a good way to practice, actually. Mwahaha. So yah, I guess losing one's eyesight (temporarily) has its, uhh, 'perks.' But let it be said that I never want to not be able to see the light of day again.:)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Okay, so my answers turned out to be longer than I expected. Overshare! Harhar. I guess the survey really does make one think. Thanks Inabear! Your survey certainly lived up to its name.:)

pol, 2:51 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment