dual*ities

LIGHT. SHADE. AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

gloom and doom in harry potter 6


After three nightly installments, I finally finished reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince this evening. And boy, all I can say is that J.K. Rowling really knows how to keep her readers hanging in suspended animation!

Actually, after the initial excitement of reading the first few chapters, I realized that I wasn't finding the book as engaging and action-packed as the previous ones. That is, I wasn't compelled to stay up ALL night to actually finish it. And that feeling persisted even when I was done reading 2/3 of the book. But things took a different turn when I reached the last few chapters. The pace of the story picked up and the old, familiar feeling of impending doom (that I usually associate with reading HP books) resurfaced. And yep, that cliffhanger of an ending kept my heart racing even after I turned the last page of the book.

Apparently Jay has just finished reading it as well, and phoned me a while ago to express what I've been thinking all along: So what now? What do we do while we are waiting for HP7?

What indeed? All we can do is sit and wait, and wish that J.K. Rowling gets a healthy dose of inspiration that would enable her to finish writing the 7th book, say, in 6 months time. But that isn't likely to happen, is it? Even if all her readers drank Felix Felicis every day for 6 months, I don't think we'll get THAT lucky. This is, after all, the real world. Hehe.

Speaking of the real world, one thing I can say about HP6 is that it reminded me a bit of our country's present state, right from the first chapter, especially with these lines (perhaps with the exception of the "chilly mist" part):

"A grim mood has gripped the country," the opponent
had concluded, barely concealing his own broad grin.

And unfortunately, this was perfectly true. The Prime
Minister felt it himself;
the people really seem more
miserable than usual. Even the weather was
more
miserable than usual. Even the weather was dismal;
all this chilly mist in the
middle of July...It wasn't right,
it wasn't normal.
(p. 2)

Then, there's this section towards the latter part of the book which says:

Voldemort himself created his own worst enemy,
just as tyrants everywhere
do! Have you any idea
how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All
of
them realize that, one day, amongst their many
victims, there is sure to be one
who rises against them
and strikes back!
(p. 510)

Doesn't this just reek of the Philippine socio-political scene? I think so. And I don't mean just now, but in various parts of our history. Yup, seeing these parallellisms of gloom and doom, I am inclined to believe that there are dementors and Death Eaters among The Powers That Be in our country--the non-magical but equally lethal kind.

And that will be the last thing I'll say about Harry Potter 6...at least until my friends (who might be reading this blog) are done reading it as well.:)



Anyway, while I'm on the subject of books, I might as well post my long-overdue answers to the book survey that hit people's blogs a couple of weeks ago . Thanks for tagging me, May8 and Anj!

My main bookshelf (top 2 1/2 levels)

The bookshelf behind my bed
(which also serves as my headboard)


Number of books I own: More than 200, not including my reference and academic books of course. Also, I still have books that have not been let out the box ever since our family transferred houses 12 years or so ago. (Most of these are of the young adult kind. Judy Blume anyone?).

Gosh, all this book counting business reminds me of books that were borrowed from me and never returned! I wonder if there is still a chance of retrieving any of them? *Sigh*

Other books on loan: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling, The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell & Dustin Thomason, Pompeii by Robert Harris, The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom, Breaking the DaVinci Code by Darrell L. Bock, Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.

And those that haven’t been returned in 3 years or more (arrggh!!!): The Griffin and Sabine trilogy, The Tao of Pooh, The Woman Who Had Two Navels, A Little Princess, The Tattooed Map.

Last purchased book(s): Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling, Michaelangelo’s Notebook by Paul Christopher, Alamat ng Gubat by Bob Ong

Last re-read:
Return to Sodom and Gomorrah by Charles Pellegrino; American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Five books for a deserted island: Arrgh, this is difficult…but okay, I’ll stick to five. Or maybe not.

1) The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
2)
The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende
3)
The Giver by Lois Lowry
4)
Pompeii by Robert Harris
5) It's a toss up between
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling. Still can't decide which.

Book I'd thwack someone on the head with: Probably the Reader’s Digest Oxford Complete Wordfinder that’s sitting on my topmost shelf (thicker than Harry Potter Book 5.)

Book I'd like to burn:
I really couldn’t think of any book I’d like to burn. Too "bonfire of the vanities," methinks.

Book that is overrated:
Richard Bach’s books (with the exception of Jonathan Livingston Seagull)

Fun classics:
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery; Pride and Prejudice and Emma by Jane Austen; The Twelfth Night by Shakespeare.

Last book read: The last book that I finished was Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling. But up until yesterday, it's Michaelangelo’s Notebook by Paul Christopher.


NOTE: I won't be tagging any people for this particular survey anymore, just 'coz this has gone around 'blogworld' already. But feel free to answer in case you haven't come across this before.:)


COMING SOON: My response to Allkaput's tag on the subject of cooking (of which I know next to nothing....hehe).


pol, 11:17 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment